Oh my word, I love these ribs! These are what we eat on Saturday night to accompany our movie nights. They are so much nicer that those sugary shop-bought packs which you squeeze out of a vacuum pack and a heck of a lot better for you.
They are so easy to make if you have a slow cooker, too. I bung it all into the crock pot in the afternoon and by tea time they are ready to fling on the barbie for five minutes. Serve with some Thai coleslaw and a pile of paper napkins.
- 500g pork ribs
- 250ml water
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 60ml red wine
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the ribs in the bottom of the crock pot of a slow cooker.
- Add the ribs and massage the wet ingredients into them.
- Allow to cook for 3 hours (high) or 6 hours (low), turning occasionally.
- Just before serving, fire up the barbecue.
- When tender, take the ribs out of the crock and ladle some of the cooking liquid into a small bowl.
- Place the ribs on the barbecue and, using a pastry or basting brush, carefully brush the cooking liquor over the ribs.
- Allow them to colour on each side, brushing liberally as you go.