A chicken drumstick doesn’t need sugar. Or honey. Or maple syrup. It’s perfectly lovely on its own and if you do fancy a marinade, then this is hard to beat.
I’d recommend roasting in the oven and finishing them off on the bbq to get a bit of colour. You’ll need to keep the skin on to make this work.
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice (about half a lime)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 60ml water
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste (or crushed garlic clove)
- Whisk together everything except for the drumsticks.
- Pour about 4 tablespoons' worth of the marinade to one side, to use when you barbecue the chicken later.
- Slash the skin on the chicken.
- Coat the drumsticks in the rest of the marinade and allow to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, minimum.
- Roast for 45 mins at 180 deg C.
- Fire up the barbecue and brush the drumsticks with the marinade that you reserved earlier.
- Flash the drumsticks on a high heat to get a crispy skin and that lovely golden colour.