Starchy vegetables make great chips. There’s no getting away from the fact that potatoes are pretty much the perfect veg for the job but for me, their carb value is just not worth it. I’ve been experimenting for some time to find a replacement and have concluded that there is no perfect swap. However, once you’ve tasted these low carb “chips,” I think you’ll agree they win hands-down on flavour.
They are a bit like the kind of oven chips which are coated in crispy seasoning. The outside contrasts really well with the soft, squidgy insides and the coating lifts bland roasted mediterranean vegetables to a whole new level.
- 80g aubergine
- 80g green pepper
- 80g courgette
- 30g grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp jerk seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 tbp groundnut oil
- Slice the vegetables into batons to resemble chips.
- Combine the spices with the parmesan.
- Coat the vegetables in the oil and then roll in the parmesan mixture.
- Arrange on a lined baking tray and bake for 10 mins at 180 dec C.
- Check after 10 minutes but they may need a few minutes longer to turn a delicious golden brown.
- You can replace the oil with beaten egg to coat the vegetables, but the results won't be quite so crispy. Still delish though!